Certainteed Landmark Architectural Shingles
The existing roof system at this office park was an aged architectural shingle system that was in very poor shape. Some of the old shingles were curled or buckled, and granules were missing throughout the roof system. Some of the existing shingles were also missing. Based on these factors and more, they decided to replace the roof system instead of repairing it.
Based on a new construction project that was completed a few years prior on their campus, the customer wanted our new shingles to match their newer building as closely as possible. As a result, they decided to go with Certainteed Landmark Architectural shingles in resawn shake because they matched almost perfectly. Furthermore, CertainTeed has an excellent reputation for proven performance, enhanced durability, and superior looks.
The customer also decided to remove the existing shingles down to the structural decking, which is always a good idea on any roof system, especially with shingles. It also gave them the opportunity to install ice and water shield throughout the entire roof system, which was particularly important on this building because it had a few roof areas with a 4:12 pitch. With full ice and water shield, water backup will not be a problem on this roof.
Scope of Work – Architectural Shingle Installation
To accommodate the customers requirements for a heavy duty and aesthetically pleasing roof system, the scope of work was:
- Remove the existing roof system down to the wood decking.
- When two layers of shingles exist on sloped roof system, a complete removal is required by building code.
- With shingle roof systems, as with any roof system, a full roof removal is highly recommended.
- Install Certainteed Ice and Water shield throughout the entire roof system.
- On roofs with a 4 pitch or greater, ice and water shield is only required 6’ up from the perimeter and in the valleys.
- In this case, the customer decided to use full ice and water shield to have a complete secondary layer of weatherproofing.
- Install new F8 drip edge metal around the perimeter.
- Install new Certainteed Landmark Architectural Shingles, installed to Certainteed specifications. The customer chose resawn shake as the color on this building, which looked great with the lighter colored siding and white edge metal. It also matched the shingles on a newer portion of their building which was previously completed by others.
- Install new Certainteed Ridge Vent, along with Certainteed Landmark Architectural Shingles. This replaced the older style ridge vents that existed on the roof system, and provides far better ventilation throughout the roof system.
By the end of the project, the customer had brand new architectural shingles on their building, which match the shingles on the newer portion of the building completed a few years ago. With full ice and water shield and our excellent craftsmanship, the roof will serve them for decades to come!